So you have a small business built on your hard work, expertise and contacts you have made through the years. But… you have a reached a plateau – your company is not growing and you have no idea how to market yourself. A realistic marketing plan is a key element.
There is a multitude of ways to approach a marketing strategy. If you are a beginner it can get very overwhelming. I am a planner so I always start with a plan. For some, the thought of writing a marketing plan is intimidating or cumbersome. It does not have to be.
I came across an article titled 3 Approaches to Marketing Planning by Bobette Kyle. It is a good read for someone with no experience in writing a marketing plan. It explains three approaches and then provides the pros and cons to each. I would, however, add a fourth approach to her list (see below).
- The Freestyle Approach
- a broad view approach which involved internet research and then writing a plan based on what you have learned
- The “I Need a Structured Starting Place” Approach
- a more structured approach using purchased packet of planning tools
- The “Take Me Through It Step By Step” Approach
- purchase a software package that guides you through a start-to-finish process
- The Hire a Marketing Coach/Consultant Approach (my addition)
- engage a marketing professional who know you and your business. The can write the plan for you or assist in writing it. This way you can spend your time doing what you do best – running your business.
Over the next few days I will share some of the strategies I have learned in writing marketing plans. Please join the conversation if there is something you want to read about. Post a comment!
Scale the mountain one step at a time.