When you get bad news what do you do? Do you look for the downside or for the upside? It is very difficult to look for the upside in things when you lose a client, lose revenue or lose a strategic partner. Sometimes there is no upside – at least not one that is very apparent.
I believe everything happens for a reason – even in business.
- Sometimes a client leaves to make room for a new client or clients that you may not even know are coming down the pipeline
- Sometimes you lose revenue from one source to gain it back thorough another
- Sometimes you lose revenue to prompt you to cut expenses
- Sometimes you lose a strategic partner because they were not as strategic as you thought they were
- Sometimes things fail because you were simply supposed to do something different
No matter which role in my life: small business owner; wife; mother; volunteer or friend I try to receive “bad” news by looking for the upside or the lesson behind the turn of events. It has been my experience that many times there is a lesson I am supposed to learn through the “bad” experiences. I seem to learn the hard way – sometimes I have to get knocked upside the head to realize I need to make a change.
Is your head hard too?
How do you handle “bad” news in business?