There are several reasons to use social media for business. Whether you use it to gain industry knowledge; make new connections; keep an eye on the competition or see what your clients are saying, the underlying reason should be about relationships. At their core, social media tools exist to facilitate relationships and connection.
I use social media to do the following:
- Increase my sphere of influence in hopes to find new connections
- Nurture some of those new connections into online relationships
- Connect with some of those relationships ILR (in real life)
- Learn form people who are smarter than me (the list is long)
- Gain new industry knowledge
- Contribute my experience and expertise
- Increase awareness of my consulting business and my blog
The tools I primarily use are LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter. For many clients I also use YouTube, Vimeo and Flickr.
What are your reasons for using social media tools?